Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Diary for 22nd September 2012 by Ann Amos

As my first little blog, I wish I could say that I was doing something exciting but, sadly, that is not the case! Instead, I am waiting for the British Gas engineer to take a look at my boiler as it gave up the ghost yesterday afternoon. It was only serviced a month ago so the situation is a little tiresome, to say the least.

Being without heating makes me wonder how on earth we coped years ago as children when the only heating in the house was a coal fire in the front room and a Raeburn in the dining room. Goodness, so much rubbish was disposed of on the fires and my father even had his own set of brushes to sweep the chimney - a very messy laborious job with smuts of soot everywhere which annoyed my mother but it was good fun for me to stand in the garden waiting for the brush to appear from the top of the chimney and then shout to Dad that I could see it! Yipeeeee! There was no heating in the kitchen, bathroom or bedrooms and the only conclusion I can reach is the fact that we dressed for the cold! Picture the scene. First there was the vest, followed by the liberty bodice with rubber buttons that eventually perished, got sticky and then squashed when forced through the mangle! On top of the liberty bodice was the underskirt (full length) and then a dress and cardigan (or skirt and jumper). Long socks completed the outfit with elastic garters around the top which held them up (hopefully without cutting off the blood supply to the lower limbs). Off course, a good winter coat was essential for outdoors and my favourite footwear were sheepskin boots – dark brown with a zip up the front. Oh they were so lovely and warm in the winter!..... I also had mittens which were attached to each other on a long length of tape which ran up one sleeve, across the back, and down the other, simple but genius really – no fear of losing them. Needless to say, a hat was also essential, as was a scarf. So there we have it, a typical 1950s child dressed for winter.


Writing about all these layers of clothes has done nothing to make me feel any warmer so, hurry up Mr Boiler Engineer or I may have to resort to 1950s tactics. Anybody know where I can buy a liberty bodice with rubber buttons?.........

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting read, you have rekindled so many memories for me. We had a coal fire when I was a child and I remember my grandma teaching me how to fold newspaper to make fire lighters and how to set up a new fire with paper fire lighters, wood and coal. I also remember having to lift the ash container out in the morning and empty it into the ashbox (back then we had metal dustbins but we always called them ashboxes). We had a companion set on the hearth with tools to sweep up the ash and tend to the fire.

    I can also identify with the frustration of waiting around for someone to turn up to mend the boiler, I hope the problem is fixed now. Thank you for getting our one day diary off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your contribution Ann. It was wonderful to read. I remember Mum & dad not being able to afford coal for the fire and all hugged around an oven with it's door open in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete