Sunday, September 23, 2012

My Diary 22nd September 2012 By Frank Baverstock

Pretty much a run of the mill day for me and no surprise with having to get sleep in between working 12 hour shifts nearly stretching to 13 with travel. Oh well, such is life!

5.40am arrived home from my night shift and quickly caught up with the Sky news whilst having a drink. I know I will regret that, needing the loo will all most certainly break my sleep!

6.00am Jumped in to bed to Angie stirring but she quickly drifted in to a deep sleep. I lay there forever trying to sleep envying Angie and all the others who only have to close their eyes to do so.

6.50am still not going off yet so I decided to watch an episode of Ice Road truckers to see how Alex the very large, lovable God fearing trucker gets on with his big headed rival, “The Bear”

7.40am was possibly the time I managed to drift off. Phew!

11.50am something stirred me but I don’t know what! I thought to myself,”oh no, I hope I can sleep again”

When I was a child of 11 or 12 my parents would awake to find me fast asleep down stairs with all the housework done. I have had a lifelong problem with sleeping especially at night and so much so, at times it has caused me illness and stress.

I often imagine that people like myself are viewed in a way that because I work nights, I must be the type to not want to get up in the morning! Funny enough, when I don’t work I am an early riser because I love the morning, especially the dawn. I rise early even if I have had little sleep.

One thing for sure, whatever woke me up did not come from inside the house as Angie & Stacey are very considerate to my problem.

12.00pm was a little worried because of being wide awake at this point but fortunately managed to drop off again.

1.30pm Woke up again but this time for a good reason. As predicted, the drink did its worst! It’s time for the loo!! I was curious at the same time if I was alone in the house. Sure enough, I was so back to bed.

1.50pm I lay there for a while knowing full well I would not get any more sleep so decided to get up.

2.00pm Decided against a shave which is rare for me but hey ho, it’s weekend. Showered and dressed I went down stairs. I made a coffee and turned the TV on for the sky News Whooooopeee I have a result........... I forgot I had recorded the F1 Qualifying and I have lots of time to catch up on it. Well done Hamilton lol and roll on Sunday’s race.

2.45pm Angie came home from shopping and talked over the racing! Hey Ho bless her. Just a thought though, she would kill me when reading this when I admit to not having a clue what she said! Oh dear!

4.00pm had to pop to my neighbour’s house to give them a DVD with some special footage on it, a video scan of their tiny child inside her. Whoops! I was not the cameraman; I was just converting it to a new format so she could share it with her family lol.

4.15pm I was still sleepy and for the life of me I can’t remember what Angie was watching on the TV whilst holding my hand!

4.45 polished my shoes, put on my tie and said our good byes Time for work.

Oh well, I work a lot of hours and as you can see it is pretty mundane but I can smile about it now. I have Sunday night off lol.

5 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, Frank! I did enjoy reading that but I feel deeply for you with your sleeping (or should I say, not sleeping) problem. I had no idea.

    Thankfully, even at the worst times in my life, I've never had a problem sleeping, even on the night that Norman died. I think it's sometimes my way of shutting out the world!

    Anyway, I'm pleased to see that you have tonight off - Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly would love to just lay my head down Ann and just go. I get by somehow and there are a lot of people out there who have it worse than I do.

      Delete
  2. Frank, thanks for sharing your diary. It must be difficult to cope with working nights when everyone else in the family is busy during the day. I told my husband that you enjoy Ice Road Truckers, he was most impressed, it is one of his favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie & Stacey are extremely considerate Christine so I don't do too bad. I do admit to not sleeping in the summer and wishing to get up and do things with them both. But I have to try to sleep! I watch very little television but just once and a while the odd series will catch my eye. This show shows people with a lot of grit as does another favorite of mine, Deadliest catch.

      Delete
  3. Is that Francis Baverstock from Kingsthorpe Upper School? Alex Wood here, Social Studies teacher. Like the diary.

    ReplyDelete