Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Autumn Months by Mary Grant



I have always loved the autumn months. Seeing the leaves on the trees change into the most beautiful colours is still a joy for me.

As a child I loved going to the parks, whether it be the big Rec, Thornton's or Abington, once the leaves had fallen and searching for the perfect shaped leaf to take back home with me. I also used to look out for the pinecones as well. Salcey Forest was a great place to go collecting too.


I was always encouraged to make things from what I had collected on our walks. Invariably the pinecones would become Christmas decorations, once I had covered them in glitter, of course. Making Christmas cards was always a favourite past time of mine too in the dark evenings when I wasn't allowed to play outside. I would use anything I could lay my hands on...different coloured bits of paper, the leaves I had collected etc. I remember finding some sheeps wool one time and using that.

There would always be a lovely smell wafting in from the kitchen, while I was making my "masterpieces". Beef stew was always a favourite of mine in the colder, dark months. Mum would also do a lovely dish that consisted of pork chops, potatoes, peas and carrots in gravy, with a suet crust around the edge of the tin. Soaked peas with lashings of vinegar and a sprinkle of salt was also a favourite in our house.

1 comment: