Saturday, July 14, 2012

Angel by Frank Baverstock

The Song “Angel” was from “follow that dream”, an Elvis Presley movie, I was asked to record it for a very dear Friend.



Alan worked for me some years ago, originally as an Agency worker. To be honest because of his age and the fact that he had only 2 fingers on his right hand due to an accident, I thought he would not be able to cope with the heavy work required of him.


I worked in the Mailing industry and was a shift Manager at the time overlooking massive machinery and up to 110 staff.  My work load was quite large but in fairness, I made it all the worse because it suited me to be hands on. I placed Alan on one machine and several times he would shout me over from the other end of the factory and say “Give me a job Frank, I can do this!”. He worked his socks off and put the kids a fraction of his age to shame! What choice did I have and how could I not give him the opportunity? Despite his handicap and knowing it would limit me in placing him, I gave him a chance.


Man, he was a pain in the neck! He would not leave me alone for a moment calling me by my new found name, “Kidda!” I would be so busy, yet he would call me from across the factory and through sheer politeness I had to go to him. Dragging myself from under machinery and covered in grease and sweat, I would go to him and say that I was very busy and ask what he wanted.  His reply 99 times out of 100 would be in his gruff voice “just seeing if you are all right Kidda, I see your busy, can I help you?” Grrrrrr! It really did get to the point where I was forced to let off steam with him, I actually unprofessionally would shout back, “Alan, F off you dozy old git” He then adopted another name for me and would shout back, Okay Kidda, you old Scrote”! (Scrotum). Those that witnessed our screams must have been convinced we were a double act and often we were greeted with laughter!  As annoying as he was and angry as I seemed, I always walked away with a smile on my face.

As busy as my day was, I loved to sing my head off and it got to the point where Alan would shout to me, “Hey Kidda, Sing an Elvis for me” He loved Elvis and for some reason loved my singing too. I had to bring him my songs on tape just to shut him up. One day he asked if I knew the song “Angel” and would I record it?  Of course I knew it!  I too loved Elvis! I said to him, “Alan, F off, no go screw yourself” But I did record it and he loved it.


Over the next few years I was restless with my job and moved to other companies.  Alan would say to me, “you’re not leaving me here Kidda” He followed me to 3 different places, Bless him. I eventually tired of the industry and moved on. This never stopped my friendship with Alan as he called nearly every day and sometimes twice a day! He was a pain in the butt! I would say to him “hey you old Tart, do you just like the sound of my voice”? He would respond with “Pee off, you ol Scrote” It never failed to put a smile on my face.


One day Alan called me and sounded very subdued. I said to him “what do you want, you old git”? But Alan replied, I need to see you Kidda”. I met Alan in the Kettering Golf club and as soon as I entered he hugged me and would not let me go! I asked him what was wrong and he said in my ear “I’m dying Kidda, maybe 3 months.  I am so frightened Frankie”. I was deeply shocked as you can imagine and we chatted for ages. In all honesty, what could I say? We had a good chuckle as per normal even getting sniggers from people around us. He even promised to come back and Haunt me!


One morning at 2.30 I received a call from Alan who was teetotal, he was in tears!  He said to me “all my family and neighbours are here kidda, they are playing your song, Angel, and they keep playing it over and over again”


As the weeks went on I saw less and less of Alan. I would ask “Can I come and see you mate”? He would argue and say “No Kidda, I’m too ashamed!”


One Thursday evening Alan called me and sounding sad in his tone, he said “I need to see you tomorrow Kidda” The next day I went to see him at his home in Peterborough. On arrival I was a little shocked at seeing him looking so pitiful. We were alone and chatted for ages and he reiterated that he would come back to haunt me. We were as insulting to one and other we always were and it was a joy to see him so happy.  My last words to him were “F off you old git” Alan laughed his head off, coughed and then collapsed to the ground! I called 999 and was advised to let him die. I was heartbroken and could do no more than stroke his hair & forehead. I know that he was aware that it was his time and wanted me there with him.  It makes me happy and proud he thought so much of me, he wanted me there.


For this reason the song “Angel” will hold a place in my heart and I often wonder, “Is he with me”?  
God bless Alan.


2 comments:

  1. That is a sad but lovely story Frank, lets hope wherever Alan is he's in a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David, he is always in my memories bless his soul.

    ReplyDelete